Monday, March 02, 2009

On the rat-walk: Rodent strikes a pose for budding fashion photographer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...otographer.html

Rats are not exactly known for looking adorable, but this one is doing a pretty good job.

These pictures were taken by 18-year-old Jessica Florence, and have made pet rat 'Bug' into an internet sensation.

The images of Bug have become almost as searched for as those of any movie heart-throb, winning over even the sceptical with what one blogger calls their 'disgustingly cute' poses, and Jessica has been deluged with emails from fellow rat fanciers and fans



But not everyone is quite so keen on the idea of a pet rat. Jessica's parents, Steve, an engineer, and Karen, for a start.

'They took a bit of persuading when I first told them I'd like a rat,' she admits.

'I saw someone with one on television when I was about 13 and decided I wanted one too. And as soon as I got my first, they fell in love as much as I did.'

Jessica is adamant that rats are lovely to have around the house.

'Much less smelly than mice,' she says firmly from her home in Portsmouth.



'Less smelly than my dog as well. Rats are friendly, and they're smart. Bug is potty-trained. She knows her name so she comes running over to me when I call her. She knows the rattle of a treat box.

'She also recognises my mum's voice and because my mum feeds her she goes crazy whenever she hears her. She gets excited when she sees me as well. She stands up in her cage and waves her hands at me.'

Her hands? Shouldn't that be paws? Never mind. If these photographs are anything to go by, Bug is also something of a rodent Kate Moss, keen to show off her charms.

'Actually,' says Jessica, 'it's easier to get her in the right position than you'd think. I just wait until it's late at night and she's really sleepy so can't be bothered to scurry away. Then I just follow her round with my camera until I get a good shot.'

Apparently her age - she is now three, which is quite advanced in rat years - helps because, 'she's quite dopey now compared to when she was younger. She spends a lot of time just pottering around my bedroom.'

For Jessica, this all started when, aged 16, she became interested in photography, was given a Nikon D40 camera for Christmas and set about teaching herself.

She uses three lenses and recently treated herself to a speed-light, 'which means I don't have to wait to photograph Bug in natural light, so it makes things a lot easier.'



Jessica soon found that not only did it please her to record her beloved rat in pixels, others loved the photos, too.

'They seemed to get popular, which gave me more motivation to take more,' she says.

'The picture people love most is the one of her lying on her back snuggling up to a teddy bear. It's had over 100,000 hits since I posted it online.'

Like all Jessica's photos - which feature Bug variously peeking out from beneath bedcovers, nestled in the lap of a teddy bear or taking a drink from a bottle of Dr Pepper - it's beautifully and impressively shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment